This is the plan and implementation from the team Top Six (students in Robotics Club) for the “2018 PanHellenic Robotics Competition: Living on Mars”.
Some of the problems we will have to face on Mars
- Too thin atmosphere and lack of oxygen
- Low Gravity
- Create domes that will contain earth-like atmosphere and oxygen generated by power plants.
- Sandstorm protection shields
- Rotating habitats for compensating the lack of gravity.
The lego construction:
- A rotating sandstorms shield (Building instructions)
- When there is high wind (microphone) it enables the warning lights.
- When the storm cloud is near (motion sensor) the shield starts rotating.
- When the cloud goes away (motion sensor) the shield stops rotating.
- Oxygen plant (Building instructions)
- A piston and fan that can count the tons of oxygen created with the tilt sensor.
- Artificial Gravity (Building instructions)
- The habitat inside the dome is rotated so as to create artificial gravity.
- A motion sensor counts the number of rotations