This is the plan and implementation from the team The Builders (students in Robotics Club) for the “2018 PanHellenic Robotics Competition: Living on Mars”.
Designing the ecosystem of Mars
- Mars gets far less light from the sun than earth does and does not have the nutrients needed for plants to grow.
- NASA investigates the possibility to create oxygen in mars and plant algae in specially designed bottles.
- New robotic vehicles will be needed that can go in hard conditions and plant the algae in the right places.
- A walking robot (Initial design from jkbrickworks):
- Searching craters that could have the right amount of ice (motion sensor)
- Tests the craters for ice with the motion sensor (white ice – black no ice)
- Unloads the bottles of algae (tilt sensor)
- A robotic laser beam (Building instructions):
- Communicates with the walking robot and gets the coordinates of the places where algae was planted. Then it sends the laser beam there to help the seeds grow (tilt sensor).